Thursday, June 18, 2015

For Clementa, Cynthia, Daniel, DePayne, Ethel, Myra, Sharonda, Susie, and Tywanza

At 6 this morning, I got in the car with my husband, half asleep, to ride with him to work and he quietly told me some horrific news.

"Nine people were killed in a church in Charleston last night."

Honestly, I am still try to process that sentence.

As days go by and more information comes out, there will be conversations about our culture and guns and racial issues and mental health questions.

They started today.

And I'm not saying they aren't important conversations or that they shouldn't be had but right now let's all just stop and think.

Nine innocent people. At church. Praying. Having bible study. Worshiping.

And one evil godless monster murdered them in their church.

I cannot imagine.

When I walk into our church, no matter how bad I feel physically or how stressed I am or what else is going on, it's like a weight is just lifted.

I just walk in and BREATHE.

I love to sing praises and pray and listen to the Word and learn and worship.

I look forward to it all week.

No matter what we are dealing with in life, it gives me such a peace.

Our minister made me laugh so hard a few weeks ago when he said he wants us leave church feeling like we could go "bear hunting with a switch."

When I leave, I do.

I'm ready to take on another week.

I'm sure they felt the same way.

Our church is our safe place to be with God and our faith family.

It's not a place of fear where we look over our shoulder.

We aren't suspicious of strangers there. In fact, we want them to come. Lots of them.

And they welcomed him.

I do not know why he did what he did.

If I'm being honest, I do not care.

I want him to pay fullest extent of the law.

And I will not write his name.

He is not worth it.

I want to remember and honor them.

The victims:


Nine innocent people at church at 9 on a Wednesday night.

I want to send all of our love and support to their devastated families and church and community.

I want them all to know that they are loved and prayed over and they we grieve for them and with them.

I want them to know that we stand beside them in their brokenness tonight.

I do not understand this.

I'm sure I never will. 

But our God is bigger is than the acts of an evil wretched man.

Clementa, Cynthia, Daniel, DePayne, Ethel, Myra, Sharonda, Susie and Tywanza are in His presence now.

And He will hold their loved ones in the palm of His hand.










No comments:

Post a Comment