Thursday, February 11, 2016

An Unplanned Sick Leave



On February 2, I had already clocked out of my night shift and gotten in my car to leave work when I realized I had the supply room keys in my pocket.

I drove to the front door to return them.


Going in, I tripped over a mat that I had previous suggested be removed and fell, hitting my head on the brick stairs, very hard.


I was taken inside, gushing blood.


Rather than call 911, I was asked to take a drug screen and write an incident report of what happened.


Even after my husband arrived to take me to the hospital, I was told I needed to finish the report before I left, despite the fact I was bleeding and my dizziness was worsening.


I was delayed at work, while bleeding, for 45 minutes.


I was then told I had to go to an urgent care center that my company uses and could not go directly to the ER.


When I arrived at that Urgent Care, still bleeding heavily, they could not believe I had been sent there.


They put me in their system as quickly as possible and sent to me to the ER for a CT scan.


Oh, and while I was still at Urgent Care, work texted to see if I was coming back in that night!!!


Thankfully, I did not have a bleed (or I could have been in serious trouble by that point) but I did require stitches and have a concussion.





And, because my employer was so thoughtless about it, I bled for about five hours before getting stitched. I'm still a bit upset about that too.


The ER sent me home to be off until the following Monday.


Then, the next day, the director of my facility called to "check on me" and to tell me why it had been so important that I fill out his paperwork before I left.


I wonder if he has considered that legally it is invalid as it was filled out by someone with a head injury?


Hmmm.


Anyway, my headaches and dizziness persisted and I developed a huge black eye even though I didn't hit it so I asked to have an appointment at the Urgent Care clinic on Friday, just to be sure everything was okay.





At Urgent Care, the doctor (who was super nice and helpful) said I have Post Concussion Syndrome and told me to rest and come back the following Tuesday (2/9) to have my stitches out and see how I was doing.


Oh, and to stay home until I came back.


Over the weekend, I was due for my second dose of increased methotrexate.


I knew it was going to be a beast with the concussion and it did not disappoint.


The chemo coma lasted for many hours, it brought nausea and vomiting, and the fatigue was phenomenal.


But it had to be done or the RA would be running wild this week too.


So, Monday, work called again, this time to ask if I would be coming in Tuesday night.


When I told them I hadn't seen the doctor yet, the reply was, "Well, you know they are going to leave it up to you."


Wow.


When I did see the doctor, they removed my stitches and determined that the Post Concussion Syndrome is still with me in the form of headaches, low stamina, and brain fog at times.


They added a huge 12 Day Prednisone Taper (Eat All The Food!) and wrote me off for another week (because, no, they didn't "leave it up to me").


I'm sure my employer is really upset but I am choosing not to worry about it.





I am confident that the Lord is control of this situation and I know there is nothing I can do about it other than focus on getting well.


On a not-so-fun side note, due to the chemo increase, I had a major hair shed this morning. :(


I'm hoping that is a one time thing.


However, if it's not, y'all can just all know that this hair WILL be mine if I have to start buying it from the store:




I'm just saying. :)




Be safe, be well, and have a fabulous Valentine's Day Weekend, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment