Friday, May 6, 2016

Say No To The Politics Of Hate

I've been so absolutely disgusted with Donald Trump that I really haven't said much - and I've tried not to think about it any more than I have to - since the Alabama primary.

However, it is clear now that he is the Republican candidate for President of the United States.

Really.

And, most likely, Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic candidate. But we will talk more about that later.

Looking at Trump, I am appalled that we are here. I don't understand how this many people could have voted for such a mean spirited, cold hearted, bigoted, hate mongering, divisive talking head. But, now it must be dealt with.

Let's take a look at what the world is seeing in one of our presidential candidates:

- In 2013, on sexual assault in the military, he tweeted, "26,000 unreported sexual assults in the military - only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men and women together?" Apparentely, Trump believes that women can expect to be raped when they are placed with men. 

- In 1991, speaking about his girlfriend at the time, "You know, it really doesn't matter what (the media) write as long as you've got a young and beautiful piece of ass." We see the value he places on women.

- In 2011, an attorney working for him asked for a break to pump breast milk. He screamed at her, "You're disgusting! You're disgusting!" and left. His new attorney has not denied this. And he wants to be our president.

- In 2015, on Mexican immigrants, "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems. and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists." Wow. Just wow.

- In 2016, with his ridiculous ego, "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot people and I wouldn't lose voters." I'm certain he believes this.

- In 2015, "Donald J. Trump is calling for a complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States." Of note, he has also mentioned things like using registries. I imagine ISIS is seeing strong growth right now with footage of his antics.

- In 1991, a former employee wrote that he said "laziness is a trait in blacks." In a 1999 interview, Trump admitted that was "probably true." And the KKK is endorsing him. Enough said there.

Oh, and there is this tweet that he later deleted:


There is plenty more where all of this came from but I think you all get my point.

So, after giving it a lot of thought, I've decided that the best option for me is going to be to vote for the Democratic candidate, likely Hillary Clinton.

While I don't agree with many of her positions and she has her own baggage for sure, this time I'm much more concerned with voting against this Trump nightmare.

We cannot be the country of hate, of prejudice, of demeaning.

We do not ban people based on their religion.

We do not create registries.

We are NOT that country.

So, we must each say "NO."

Even if that means voting in a way we would ordinarily not have voted.

I feel there is a much bigger issue at stake in this election.

So I have made up my mind.

Again, I can't believe we are here but here we are.

One of them has to win.

We can't let it be him.



















No comments:

Post a Comment