Friday, May 20, 2016

Things We Cannot Change


Mumford & Sons
On Instagram, there is a community of autoimmune fighters, all women, who have bonded over daily struggles and cheer each other on and provide support for one another through the things that healthy people sometimes aren't able to understand.

Though we will likely never meet face to face, I am thankful for these ladies. I pray for them and count them as friends.

One friend is a fellow nurse who is a few years younger than I am. She is engaged and has two adorable fur babies.

Unfortunately, she has been horribly sick, staying in the hospital for months at a time, fighting multiple infections along the way, and all meds have failed.

Yesterday, my heart was broken for her when I learned that she has entered hospice care at 35 years old.

I realize, given her health status, that this is the best option for her, but it just kills me that there is nothing more that can be done.

When I learned this, I had just picked up a new insanely expensive medicine in addition to a bunch of my monthly meds at the pharmacy.

I was not happy.

Sometimes it's hard not to be resentful that making healthcare "affordable" for somebody out there has also made it a Herculean task to get all the meds needed to keep me alive and functioning.

After learning the news about my friend though, I just took a moment of pause and thanked the Lord for my wonderful husband providing our insurance, for always being able to get the meds somehow, and that they are working to some degree, even if we haven't gotten to the place we want to be yet.

As I think about my friend, I can't help but remember that she has gone from planning her wedding to planning her memorial service within a year.

I'm not being morbid. It's just reality.

So, as Psalm 90 says, we should number our days and remember how few they are.

Get busy doing life.

Love God and love people.

Write the book.

Take up painting.

Get the ink.

Help everybody you can along the way.

Do the triathlon.

Go back to school.

Whatever it is that has been calling your name forever, the thing you just really need to do, do it.

And don't give a damn what anybody thinks.

The ones who really matter will be cheering the loudest.


Have a happy weekend, y'all. Be blessed. Be well.

Love you, Lyla.





No comments:

Post a Comment